Head of English
Purpose and Outline of Role
The Head of English is responsible for leading and developing the 7 – 12 English curriculum at the Queenwood Senior School. The Head of English is expected to contribute to the broader life of the School.
The Head of English is ultimately responsible to the Principal in all aspects of the position and directly responsible to the Director of Curriculum.
This is a full-time position for a maximum term of 5 years, and carries a teaching load of 0.6FTE with Leadership Level 2 allowance. This position commences in Term 1, 2021.
- Provide inspiring leadership of the English program 7-12, so as to build the breadth, depth and quality of the study of English at Queenwood.
- Advise the Principal on the growth and development of the English curriculum in accordance with the School’s strategic objectives.
- Implement a consistent approach to the development, programming and teaching of English for Queenwood students 7-12.
- Ensure that English at Queenwood is a beacon of excellence, developing the abilities and interests of Queenwood students.
- Lead and manage the English staff.
- Develop policies and procedures to ensure the smooth running of all aspects of the English curriculum.
- Work collegially to support the academic and cultural life of the School.
- Provide a role model of professional behaviour including quality teaching, positive approach, appropriate professional conduct and high level administration duties.
- Manage and administer budgeting requirements for the English curriculum.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the 7 - 12 English program in compliance with NESA and/or IBO requirements.
- Ensure that the day-to-day administration of English is efficient and that systems, resources and equipment are well maintained.
- Develop and document the scope and sequence of the English program across the senior school 7 - 12.
- Collaborate with teachers in planning, teaching and evaluating teaching.
- Participate in the determination of educational goals, policies and programs for the school.
- Lead and supervise the Queenwood professional review and development process for the English staff on an annual basis.
- Supervise the NESA and/or AIS teacher accreditation process for any English teacher seeking Proficient Teacher or Experienced Teacher accreditation.
- Lead the QLiteracy Committee in the development of relevant resources and professional development opportunities to support the teaching of literacy across the curriculum K-12.
- Keep abreast of current teaching and learning strategies, curriculum developments and technologies.
Experience and Expertise
- Outstanding record as a classroom English teacher.
- Demonstrated ability to develop English programs, managing the associated administrative requirements and managerial demands.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing circumstances in order to lead an English team through change in strategic direction.
- Extensive experience as an English teacher.
- Appropriate formal qualifications in teaching of English.
- Infectious passion for English in education.
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral.
- Engenders mutual respect with students, staff and parents.
- Flexible and responsive to the needs of the school community and driven to achieve the best outcomes for the school.
- A collaborative, team player balanced with the ability to be decisive and directional where situations demand.
- Model and promote lifelong learning.
- Highly motivated individual with a strong ‘can do’ attitude.
- Dedicated to creating opportunities for the development of English as a central component of the Queenwood curriculum and beyond.
PLEASE NOTE THAT QUEENWOOD ACCEPTS ELECTRONIC APPLICATIONS ONLY.
Please email applications to: [email protected]
Closing date for applications is Monday the 23rd November at 5pm.
Applications should include:
- Your WWCC number as per new regulations as at 15th June 2013
- Resume & cover letter addressing the criteria / position requirements
- Your email address
- Names and phone numbers of three confidential referees
Please note that if shortlisted for interview you will be required to provide proof of right to work in Australia for the duration of the appointment.