Learning Area Leader - English
An exciting opportunity exists for an enthusiastic and inspiring Learning Area Leader - English to support our Senior Campus.
The Learning Area Leader – English works closely with the Senior Campus Learning and Teaching Team and subject teachers to provide high quality programs for all students. The Learning Area Leader – English has specific responsibilities for leading colleagues to develop, deliver, and review learning and teaching programs in their Learning Area. They work to inspire enthusiastic, effective teaching and learning within their Learning Area, ensuring that resources, talents, and facilities are employed to support student growth and achieve the strategic goals of the school, while also contributing to the school’s Camp and Activities programs.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leading colleagues to develop learning and teaching programs using comprehensive knowledge of curriculum, assessment and reporting requirements
- Leading colleagues to select and develop teaching strategies to improve student learning using knowledge of students’ individual needs
- Initiating and engaging in professional discussions with colleagues in a range of forums to evaluate practice directed at improving professional knowledge and practice, and the educational outcomes of students.
- Developing and maintaining communication, co-operation and collaboration between all members of the Learning Area.
- Co-ordinating and supporting the development, implementation and evaluation of the school’s strategic curriculum initiatives.
- Liaising with the Deputy Heads of Teaching and Learning in counselling members of the Learning Area on appropriate teaching practices.
- Lead the implementation of the MYP within the Learning Area
- Meet the compliance requirements of VCAA and IB in relation to VCE/VET, IB MYP, and Senior Years programs
- Ensure that Learning Area staff are aware of current practices, research and literature in their teaching areas
- Prepare, manage and review the annual budget to ensure the ongoing delivery of quality educational experiences
- Participate in, and advise on the preparation of courses of study, in consultation with Learning Area members and school leaders
- Oversee the use, care and maintenance of Learning Area facilities
- Meet regularly with the Deputy Head of Teaching and Learning – MYP and Deputy Head of Teaching and Learning – Senior Secondary to plan, manage and review programmes relating to curriculum development, delivery and assessment
- Collaborate with other Learning Area leaders, teachers and school leaders across the campus, and from other campuses, as required
- Promote the activities of the staff and students to the broader community through the School Newsletter, Assemblies, Local Newspaper, and Professional Journals, as appropriate.
Conditions of Employment:
- A VIT Registration is required for this position.
- Qualification and First Aid Training confirmation is required for this position.
For more details on this position, including a full position description, please refer to our website.
Applications should be addressed to HR and submitted by 5pm Friday 18 June 2021.
All applications need to include an updated resume and include a covering letter outlining the following (no more than 500 words):
- Your philosophy of teaching and learning and leadership
- What experience you bring to this role and
- What studies contribute to the role.
If you have any queries relating to this position please contact Richard Owens, Director of Learning, Strategy and Innovation – [email protected]
Woodleigh School is an equal opportunity employer. Woodleigh School is committed to a Child Safe school environment and has zero tolerance of child abuse.