Director of Indigenous Education
MLC School is looking for an experienced and knowledgeable Director of Indigenous Education
Full Time (1.0 FTE) ongoing position
Start date: Term 1 2022
Closing date: 16 September 2021
MLC School is looking for an experienced and knowledgeable Director of Indigenous Education who will be responsible for supporting and creating an understanding and appreciation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories, cultures, and spirituality. The Director of Indigenous Education is also responsible for providing significant pastoral and academic leadership within the School for the effective coordination of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and providing advice and expertise to ensure cultural safety for these students and their families.
This position includes a 0.6 FTE teaching load and 0.4 FTE leadership release.
About MLC School
Founded in 1886 MLC School is an Australian Independent Girls’ School of the Uniting Church in Australia. MLC School’s mission is to educate and inspire young women to be fearless thinkers with moral courage and compassion to be agents of change in their own lives and the lives of others.
Our academic, co-curricular and pastoral care programs are responsive to the changing needs of these complex times and encourage girls to take measured risks, embrace innovation and adapt to change.
Who is the MLC School girl?
The MLC School girl is empowered with skills and capabilities that enable her to be adaptive, compassionate, and courageous. She embraces new challenges and opportunities; and strives for excellence. She is cared for and well supported so that she can confidently focus on her own individual, personal and academic growth.
The MLC School girl is at the heart of everything we do.
About the position
The Director of Indigenous Education is integral to the development and implementation of MLC School’s Indigenous Education Strategy within the School’s Strategic Plan and has the primary responsibility for leading the ongoing development of exemplary contemporary teaching, learning and assessment processes, including the effective use of school data from external assessments and diagnostic testing to enhance learning outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students. Within the role, the Director of Indigenous Education seeks to innovate and implement positive change in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education and the wider community.
This position maintains a teaching role and will always demonstrates a passion for teaching and learning as well as for differentiated instruction that caters for the individual needs of all students.
You will be able to demonstrate your ability and commitment to:
- Lead and develop an Indigenous Education Plan consistent with guidelines provided by national and state agreements in consultation with the School Executive.
- Develop and maintain key relationships with external support agencies to maximise outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students,
- Have knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander societies and cultures, as well as issues affecting them,
- Acquire the ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and their families,
- Engage students through the planning and delivery of high impact learning experiences.
Persons of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will be rewarded with a number of exciting benefits including:
- Professional learning opportunities
- Salary packaging
- Discounted School fees
- Onsite parking
- Access to the School’s gym and indoor Aquatic Centre
How to apply:
All applications are to be submitted via MLC School’s online Careers Portal and include:
- a cover letter addressing the vacancy being applied for;
- a resume;
- a copy of your academic transcript; and
- the names and contact details of three confidential referees.
You must upload your application in a single PDF document.
Applications close on 16 September 2021.
Please note the advertising closing date is indicative only and MLC School reserves the right to close the advertisement before this date is reached. Therefore, it is encouraged that you submit your application as soon as possible.
We do not welcome interest from recruitment agencies at this time.