Head of Department - Science
MLC School is looking for an experienced and passionate Head of Department - Science
Head of Department - Science
Full Time Ongoing
Start date: Term 1 2022
Closing date: 29 September 2021
MLC School is looking for an experienced and passionate Head of Department - Science who will educate and inspire young women to be fearless thinkers with moral courage and compassion to be agents of change in their own lives and in the lives of others. Experience teaching Chemistry, Biology and/or Physics at senior level is desirable.
About MLC School
Founded in 1886, MLC School is an independent, nonselective Uniting Church school for girls from Pre-Kindergarten to Year 12 in Sydney’s inner-west. Our tagline ‘dare to be more’ is not only our goal for our students, it applies equally to our staff.
Our highly professional staff, under the guidance of Principal Ms Lisa Moloney, challenge girls and encourage them to question traditional perceptions and roles of women.
The MLC School girl is at the heart of everything we do.
Who is the MLC School girl?
The MLC School girl is empowered with skills and capabilities that enable her to be adaptive, compassionate and courageous so she can confidently take her place in an ever-changing society. She embraces new challenges and opportunities; and strives for excellence. She is cared for and well supported so that she can confidently focus on her own individual, personal and academic growth. A wide selection of subject choices, as well as an extensive co-curricular program, aims to empower girls to be self-reliant and play an active role in their futures.
About the position
The position is responsible for leading and coordinating the development and delivery of innovative teaching programs aligned to the strategic goals and priorities of the School. This includes tracking of individual student progress and mentoring of staff to achieve academic excellence within their discipline.
As a pedagogical leader at MLC School, the Head of Department – Science motivates, encourages and inspires the development of a strong, effective and innovative teaching team that operates ethically, with a clear focus on providing opportunities for every girl to reach her full potential. They support the members of their department in the development of professional leaning plans that are aligned to the strategic goals and priorities of the School. Building the capacity of the members of their team to meet these is a key function of this role.
The Science Department is equipped with new purpose-built state of the art facilities which cater for an inquiry-based approach to learning. Our girls explore Science through hands on learning supported by a team of Laboratory staff and exceptional resources. A range of data loggers are used from Year 7 and students have access to sophisticated instruments such as spectrophotometers, incubators and electrophoresis equipment. Our students are able to engage in authentic investigations throughout Stage 4, 5 and 6.
In this context, the Head of Department - Science is responsible for building a culture within which the wellbeing, academic progress and spiritual development of each girl go hand in hand. They are a key contributor to leading learning within the academic team and promoting the importance of educating the ‘whole’ girl and promote the importance of partnering with parents.
You will be able to demonstrate your ability and commitment to:
- leading and supervising the development and implementation of the Department’s teaching programs, confirming that they cater for the learning needs and wellbeing of all students. The Head of Department – Science holds accountability for ensuring that teaching programs delivered by the Department comply with NESA, IB and the Schools reporting requirements in the Science discipline
- as a content area specialist, imparting expert knowledge, skills and advice in the relevant subject/s and course/s allocated in the annual timetable. In fulfilling this obligation, developing professional expertise in accordance with the requirements of the negotiated Professional Development Plan developed annually in consultation with the position supervisor.
- engaging collaboratively with other leaders of the Learning and Teaching team, teachers and other learning specialists across the school to inform the development and implementation of teaching strategies that cater for individual learning styles and ability levels.
- planning, implementing and evaluating educational programs that foster the social, emotional, cognitive and physical growth of students, confirming that the programs cater for the learning needs and wellbeing of all students;
- delivering service excellence to parents and carers by proactively engaging with and responding promptly and courteously to enquiries and requests for information;
- ongoing development of classroom practice and a collaborative approach to teaching and learning
- contributing to the ‘whole girl’ learning experience through your contribution to co-curricular programs; and
- ongoing personal and professional development
Ability to, or an interest in teaching the IB Diploma Programme is essential.
The successful candidate will be rewarded with a number of excellent benefits including:
- Dedicated focus on professional growth and development
- CPR and First Aid Certification
- State of the art facilities and collegiate environment
- Employee Assistance Program available to you and your immediate family
- Salary packaging and access to LSL after 5 years’ service
- Discounted School fees
- Onsite parking, easy access to public transport and Westfield Shopping Centre
- Access to the School’s gym and indoor Aquatic Centre
How to apply:
All applications are to be submitted via MLC School’s online Careers Portal and include:
- a cover letter addressing the vacancy being applied for;
- a resume;
- a copy of your academic transcript; and
- the names and contact details of three confidential referees.
You must upload your application in a single PDF document.
Applications close on 29 September 2021.
Please note the advertising closing date is indicative only and MLC School reserves the right to close the advertisement before this date is reached. Therefore, you are encouraged to submit your application as soon as possible.
We do not welcome interest from recruitment agencies at this time.