International Student Programme Leader
At Mercedes College, our diverse and multicultural community is highly valued. Our students, families and staff bring a wealth of experience and broad range of backgrounds to our learning environment.
For more than 50 years, Mercedes College has welcomed students from around the world into our high-quality and award-winning International Student Programme, where we provide a holistic education experience, supporting students to develop and reach their potential, preparing them to be global citizens.
The International Student Programme brings together Educators, parents/caregivers, international agents and government departments to facilitate the learning experience for international students.
Mercedes College is seeking to engage a suitably qualified and experienced professional to lead our International Student Programme, from Tuesday 11 April 2023 – Friday 1 September 2023, whilst the current incumbent is on Long Service Leave.
The position is offered at 0.6FTE, but can be increased to 1FTE (full-time) if the incumbent has the ability to teach Science.
With a focus on establishing and promoting an inclusive ethos of learning, building effective practices in teaching and learning and supported by an Education Support Officer dedicated to the International Student Programme, the key responsibilities of the ISP Leader include:
- Case management of all international students, including collation of data to monitor student academic progress and wellbeing
- Ensuring the College complies with local, national and international requirements, standards and practices, including CRICOS
- Collaboration with teachers of International Students on appropriate teaching and learning strategies
- Conducting and scheduling LEAP assessments to inform plans for learning differentiation
- In collaboration with the Director of Learning Enrichment, identify appropriate learning enrichment strategies for students in the International Student Programme.
- Develop student profiles and prepare and monitor Personalised Plans for Learning (PPLs) that reflect student learning and cultural needs
- Assist with the identification and submission of Learning Enrichment and differentiation (e.g. special provisions) requests for SACE and IB programmes
- Coordinate the management of College learning environments that support and promote the needs of international students
- Identify and document appropriate academic programmes for International Students in consultation with the Learning Pathways Coordinator and Programme Coordinators
- Support, communicate and liaise with parents, agents and guardian of students within the International Student Programme
- Liaise with external providers such as School of Languages, South Australian College of English and Adelaide International School to support students in attaining minimum levels of English
To be successful in this role, you will require:
- Full registration as a Teachers Registration Board of South Australia
- The ability to undertake LEAP level assessment or training in LEAP levelling would be advantageous
- Proficiency and demonstrable experience teaching English as a second language and/or a literacy rich subject
- A commitment to uphold, support and contribute to the Catholic ethos of the College in the Mercy tradition and willingness to participate and contribute to the life of Mercedes College and the wider community
- Experience in the application of inclusive practices involving EALD students
- Demonstrated pastoral capacity
- Knowledge of wellbeing challenges for international students
- Knowledge of IB and SACE programme requirements
- Appreciative and respectful of diverse cultures
- Capacity to operate in a collaborative, professional, confidential and discreet manner
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate effectively to students, staff and parents
- Capacity to foster independence, resilience and responsibility in students
- The successful applicant will be required to attain and maintain a valid Working with Children Check (WWCC) and Catholic Schools clearance and keep up to date with relevant Child Protection requirements
How to apply
Key application dates:
- Applications close 9am, Monday 27 February 2023
- Interviews will be held on Friday 31 March 2023 at Mercedes College, Springfield
- We are seeking for the successful applicant, subject to their availability, to commence on Tuesday 11 April 2023 (Week 11), to facilitate a through handover with the current incumbent
The above dates are ideal, however can be flexible in support of the right applicant.
Email your application to [email protected] comprising:
- Cover letter (of no more than 1 A4 page), outlining your experience in the application of inclusive practices involving EALD students
- Current resume including the names and contact details of three current referees
- A completed Mercedes College Applicant Declaration Form.
Note: In line with Catholic Education South Australia (CESA) COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, staff of Mercedes College do not need to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment.