- Permanent Part-time Position
- Commencing Term 1, 2020
- Some experience teaching IB Diploma courses would be an advantage
We are seeking a creative and passionate educator with a background in environmental science, biology and/or geography to teach in our International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP). This position will carry a part-time allocation of approximately 0.5 EFT.
Sophia Mundi is an inner-city Steiner school located in the historic Abbotsford Convent precinct close to the Yarra River. We offer a full Steiner Curriculum for classes P – 10 and the IBDP students in Years 11 and 12.
ESS is a complex course, requiring a diverse set of skills from its teachers. It is firmly grounded in both a scientific exploration of environmental systems in their structure and function and in the exploration of cultural, economic, ethical, political, and social interactions of societies with the environment. The goal of this course is that students will become equipped with the ability to recognize and evaluate the impact of our complex system of societies on the natural world.
The interdisciplinary nature of the course requires a broad skill set from teachers and includes:
- the ability to guide student research and investigations
- the ability to lead and participate in philosophical discussions with students about biodiversity, conservation, sustainability and climate change
- a sound knowledge of a systems approach to environmental understanding and problem-solving
- strategies to promote holistic thinking, evaluation and analysis of environmental issues
- excellent understanding of assessment criteria and examination preparation
- sound assessment and feedback practises for both formative and summative assessment
- basic laboratory skills and demonstrated field trip proficiency
- excellent communication skills, including IT resources and Managebac proficiency
- the ability to make interdisciplinary connections
- teaching and learning strategies consistent with the IB Learner Profile
- readiness to participate in online learning and off-campus professional development
The successful applicant must be able to work collegially within our creative team of teachers. Evidence of current VIT registration and a sound understanding of, and commitment to Child safety Standards are essential.
Sophia Mundi is committed to the care, safety and protection of all children attending the school. Our School is a place where children are nurtured and supported so that they can develop their latent capacities and grow into well-rounded human beings
For further information and to apply please visit: https://www.sophiamundi.vic.edu.au/employment/