Burwood Heights Primary School and Kindergarten
Burwood Heights Primary School is committed to providing high-quality education, care and safety to all students, to prepare them to become active, engaged and responsible citizens of the local and global community. The school aims to prepare students to contend with a world in which creativity, cooperative work, connectedness and adaptability are key features.
The Burwood Heights Primary School vision describes the objectives of our school community. Our school is committed to preparing our students to develop the knowledge and skills that will help them become life-long learners who are successful and happy individuals who participate fully in and contribute to our community and the world around us.
THE LEARNER PROFILE
The Learner Profile represents ten attributes valued by Burwood Heights Primary School. We believe these attributes, and others like them, can help individuals and groups become responsible members of local, national and global communities helping to create a better and more peaceful world.
As learners, we strive to be:
- Inquirers- we nurture our curiosity. We learn with enthusiasm and sustain our love of learning.
- Knowledgeable- we develop and explore knowledge across a range of discipline.
- Thinkers- we use critical and creative thinking skills to analyse. We use initiative in making reasoned, ethical decisions.
- Communicators- we express ourselves confidently and creatively in many ways.
- Principled- we act with integrity and honesty, with a strong sense of fairness and justice with respect and dignity.
- Open-Minded- we critically appreciate our own cultures as well as the values and traditions of others.
- Caring- we show empathy, compassion and respect.
- Risk-takers- we approach uncertainty with forethought and determination.
- Balanced- we understand the importance of balancing different aspects of our lives- intellectual, physical and emotional, to achieve well-being for ourselves.
- Reflective- we thoughtfully consider the world and our own ideas and experience.
Primary Years Programme (PYP)
Burwood Heights Primary School is an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School that has been authorised to offer the Primary Years Programme (PYP).
IB World Schools share a common philosophy—a commitment to improve the teaching and learning of a diverse and inclusive community of students by delivering challenging, high quality programmes of international education that share a powerful vision.
IB Mission Statement
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.
To this end the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment. These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.