PYP

Location New South Wales, Australia
Website http://www.scotsalbury.nsw.edu.au
Email reception@scotsalbury.nsw.edu.au
Phone +61 (0)2 6022 0000
Fax +61 (0)2 6041 3210
 
Boarding facilities

The Scots School Albury is a Uniting Church, independent co-educational Pre-School to Year 12 Day and Boarding school, situated on a spacious campus of 11 hectares with outstanding facilities, in the Albury-Wodonga region.

At The Scots School Albury we place our young people at the centre of their educational experience by providing challenges and opportunities that enable them to flourish as individuals, with others, and within the broader community. Our students strive to be resilient, compassionate, ethical, creative, curious, resourceful, inclusive courageous and articulate individuals.

We emphasise the importance of equipping students with the personal and interpersonal skills that benefit themselves and their communities - we empower our students to make a positive impact on others and their world.

Our dedicated and enthusiastic teachers understand that no two learners are the same and work with students to discover their individual talents and nurture them. The diverse opportunities in academic, performing arts, sports and community service areas provide an ideal climate for personal growth and achievement. We have an international outlook, not only through the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme, but across the whole School. 

In our Junior School, The Scots School Albury is a candidate school for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP). In our Senior School, Scots offers a wide choice of subjects based on the NSW Education Standards Authority courses and Years 11 and 12 comprise the Higher School Certificate Course.

The Scots School Albury has been declared the best Country School in NSW and third ranked Country School in Australia for its impressive 2015 NAPLAN results for Years 3, 5, 7 & 9.  These results also placed Scots in the Top 50 co-educational Schools in Australia.  It has also had stellar performances with 2015 HSC results which placed Scots Albury as the highest ranking regional co-educational school in NSW.  In 2015, 97% of our students received a Tertiary place, the remaining 3% took up offers with the Military.

At Scots you will see confident and happy students with a passion for learning and a sense of belonging to a unique community that is progressive yet rich in history.


Primary Years Programme (PYP)

Scots is a candidate school for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP). Through the PYP framework, learning at Scots involves exploring, wondering, asking questions, experimenting, making predictions, collecting data, reporting findings, clarifying ideas, reappraising perceptions, deepening understanding, seeking information and solving problems. The traditional subject areas are explored through the context of our Units of Inquiry. Within each Unit of Inquiry students and teachers identify together what they already know, what they want to know, what they need to know and how best they might find that out. Students engage with real issues and challenges. They ask questions, they seek information from experts, from real organisations and from real people. They solve problems. The ability to read, write and manipulate numbers is essential, and remains an important focus in the Junior School. These skills are skills for life, and enable our students to inquire effectively. The role of a teacher is to know each child - to understand where they are developmentally and to support and scaffold learning to move them to a deeper level of understanding or to a greater level of skill. The PYP gives Scots a framework of five essential elements - knowledge, concepts, skills, attitudes, and action. We work with the five elements to construct a rigorous and challenging primary curriculum (which includes the Australian and NSW Board of Studies content standards) to develop unique and effective programs that are engaging, relevant, challenging and significant for learners. These programs also meet the needs of the broader school community as well as that of an international community. The PYP fosters the development of thinking, communication, social, research and self-management skills that students need to master in order to prepare themselves for their future education and for life in general. Students are encouraged to put what they have learned into practice through service to the school community, the local community and the global community.