The Board of Southside Montessori School is seeking an innovative educator to lead this dynamic learning community into the next exciting phase of its learning and development journey. The Principal would demonstrate a strong capacity of leadership and would develop and implement the strategic plan in collaboration with the Board of Directors, staff and parents.
About the School
Southside Montessori School is a progressive, non-denominational, co-educational school that is has it’s beginnings in the educational methods of Dr Maria Montessori. We are a candidate school for the IB Primary Years Programme, with a view to expanding to offer the Middle Years and Diploma Programmes for high school from 2022. IB World Schools share a common philosophy - a commitment to high-quality, challenging, international education- that we believe is important for our students.
Hidden away in the suburb of Riverwood in South Western Sydney, Southside Montessori School offers state of the art contemporary learning spaces. These combine with quality teaching to provide a highly engaging and student-focused learning environment. The School offers both a Preparatory and Primary Years program, catering to students from 4 to 12 years of age. The Preparatory years program is based on Montessori principles while the Primary program is based on the teaching and learning style of the Primary Years Program of the IB. It has a current enrolment of approximately 30 students across the 2 programs and there is great potential to build the school across the existing programs, as well as developing the enrolments, curriculum and facilities for a high school.
Southside Montessori School is currently looking for a teaching Principal who will be able to lead the school into a new phase of development and expansion, while maintaining the mission of the school: Promoting lifelong learning for students and staff through leadership, reflection and creativity.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of a close-knit school community, working with dedicated staff, and supported by a strong School Board.
About the Role
From January 2021, the Principal will be responsible for:
- Provision of educational leadership
- Implementation of educational plans and school policies
- Day-to-day running of the school
- Leading, motivating and empowering staff in their professional growth
- Guiding the vision and direction of the school in line with strategic planning
- Sustaining and improving the school’s natural and built environments
- Remaining abreast of trends and research in education and relevant technology
- Providing timely and accurate reports to the School Board and attending the Board Meetings
- Maintaining positive relationships and regular engagement with the parent community including presentations at parent discussion nights and other school events
- Facilitating a culture of respect towards all members of the school community and
- Promotion of the School to prospective families and within the local community.
Qualification/Experience and Skills
- The ability to manage the dual role of a teaching principal
- Previous experience as Principal, Deputy Principal or other demonstrated leadership role
- Understanding of the NSW curriculum
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills, including public speaking
- Experience in strategic planning and realisation of outcomes
- NESA Registration or relevant tertiary degree and teaching qualifications and
- Current Working with Children Check.
- Understanding of the International Baccalaureate programmes and Montessori principles
- Business management and administration skills
- Innovative thinking towards technologies and new educational approaches and
- Mentoring skills.
This position will be based on an initial 3 year contract and the remuneration package will be negotiated based on qualifications and experience.
How to Apply
Please provide your CV and cover letter addressing your suitability for the role, including details of 3 referees. All applications should be addressed to the Chair of the Board, Mrs Fay Gurr: [email protected]
Closing date: 18 September 2020
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. The School reserves the right to appoint a successful applicant prior to the close of applications or re-open the recruitment process after the closing date if necessary.
Further information on our school can be found on our website: www.southsidemontessori.edu.au
Fay Gurr, Chair, Southside Montessori Society
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 0418 621 119